Happy Friday! A few insightful links from this week:
- Writer Jody Hedlund explains the challenges of convincing others that writing is a valid career choice. Their reactions, she says, can result in writer’s guilt.
- What do you call yourself? Do you deserve the title of writer, author, or something entirely different? More than anything else, I still consider myself a journalist. (This post reminded me that I’m still not set on Aspiring Author as the title of this blog. Some readers say that title doesn’t give me enough credit because I’m a published journalist. I argue back that regardless of my writing credentials, I’m still aspiring to become an author. And yet, I’m always trying to think of a better title.)
- Author Dani Shapiro says her work in progress is like her child. She wants to protect it, but she knows she’s gotta let it out in the world.
- How not to start a story. An excellent list to refer to after you’re satisfied with your first few pages.
- Check out this new blog called Pimp My Novel, created by a guy who works in a publisher’s sales department. He explains what happens to a book after it’s acquired by a publishing house.
- On the Freelance Writing Jobs Network: a list of blogs writers should read.
After taking the last few weekends off, this Saturday and Sunday I plan to write and edit. See you Monday!